Ask Me Anything

Q: How can an inmate get a reduce sentence in a state prison?

State jail inmates can get 20% off their sentence for good behavior. Otherwise its day for day.

Q: Am I eligible for probation if I have a felony 2 charge?

In your question you state that you have been convicted of injury to a child but that this is your first offense. I believe what you are meaning to state is that you are currently charged with injury to a child and not convicted. If this is the case and it is your first felony case then yes you are eligible for probation so long as the prosecution will offer it or the judge is willing to give it to you on a plea to the court.

Q: Can someone change probation officers if they have to move?

Yes, you would have to get permission to have your probation transferred.

Q: Will it be possible for me to get probation only on a state charge if I plead guilty?

It is possible to get probation but given your prior history not very likely. You need to contact a defense attorney to go over your case so it can be evaluated for any compelling factors make you a good candidate for probation. Do not post anything about your case on this site as it can be used against you. Contact an attorney ASAP.

Q: Misdemeanor possession of marijuana less than 20 g, do I need a lawyer?

No it is not illegal to sentence you to jail if you do not have a lawyer. You have the right to represent yourself if you choose. In this case you are charged with a class b misdemeanor which is punishable by up to $2000.00 fine and up to 180 days in jail. Even though you only had 20g on you anything under 2oz. will be treated as a class b. Given that this is your third drug related offense you may very well be looking at more than just a fine and it is probably in your best interest to hire an attorney.

Q: What are arbitration proceedings?

Arbitration proceedings are a form of alternative dispute resolution (ADR). These proceedings do not involve a judge or jury but are handled by a mutual neutral arbitrator. These proceeding are likely binding and you will most likely want to seek legal counsel before entering into arbitration.